Friday, February 19, 2010

Walk this way . . .

As I walked along the street in downtown I saw a man and his son walking in front of me. The dad trodding along the sun skipping almost as the sun shine around him.

As the son got too close to the street the father simply pointed to the position where he wished his son to be, no smile, no loving touch, just a point onthe sidewalk where the son knew he had to be or suffer the consequences.

The son quickly obeyed and the walk continued. The father trudging along the son now in step with the father. Sadly I watched the skipping and smile leave the boy almost as a shadow cools the space in which a person exists.

In the next moment a speeding car goes by and I realize the love of the father. The boy does not realize this because the gesture was cold, forceful, without speaking but still spoken louder than words.

Does the boy realize the love of the father? I often give direction to my kids that in my mind is filled with love and compassion and supreme well being of my kids but the delivery speaks louder than words.

Have you gotten direction from your father and questioned why He would have me move to the other side of the sidewalk? Oblivious to the traffic inches away.

Decide this day how you will guide your children and in what context you will hear the voice of the father!

No comments: